Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Carnival of Homeschooling, v. 133

The 133rd Carnival of Homeschooling is up at Red Sea School.

My favorite entries are:

Nature in Your Own Backyard -- because we have an iguana for a pet (she's a little old lady, at 15 years of age now) and we love to see pictures of iguanas. (Note: Iguanas are not great pets. I love our dear old girl, but I will probably never have another one, especially with kids around.)

The Dark Side -- because it *isn't* us vs. them, and we should stop turning every decisions into us vs. them. I'm a big fan of personal resposibility and not putting your nose into other people's business. Let's just figure people know what they're doing and that all humans aren't idiots.

1 comment:

Andromeda said...

Hey -- I saw your comment beginning "Oh, well try having a verbally gifted kid who doesn’t read when he’s 5." at http://adsoofmelk.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/invisibly-gifted-the-problem-of-being-profoundly-gifted-but-not-in-math/ --

This reminds me of a friend of mine growing up. She was (still is) extremely verbally gifted, creative, good writer, good storyteller, good at suckering people into doing what she wanted, etc. Bright overall -- she's finishing med school now. And hated reading as a kid. Passionately. My parents kept having me give her books I'd outgrown, because she wasn't reading yet, and it just seemed to me this bizarre catastrophe. Why wouldn't you read?

Of course, what with her being all verbal and smart, it wasn't until 10th grade that anyone caught on to the reading disability.

So if you think there's any chance there might be something like that going on -- resistance to reading to mask the fact that it is, for some reason, very hard -- I'd get that tested.